Fukuoka, Japan: Tacos Stand

“In Tacos We Trust” is the slogan of Tacos Stand in Fukuoka, Japan, and trust me, it’s worth the journey to try them. Yeah, you might be thinking of Tonkotsu ramen as the main food of Fukuoka, and while you may be right, I’d also tempt you away from some traditional Japanese fare to try something different. Especially if you’re a foreigner like me who misses tastes from abroad. 

Pork taco blue corn tortilla
Pork belly taco with a blue corn tortilla, handmade at the shop. 
店で手作りしたブルーコーントルティーヤのポークベリータコス

With taco offerings like natto and hamachi alongside pork belly, Tacos Stand is not truly “authentic” Mexican, and they don’t try to be, really. And yet, these are some of the best tacos I’ve ever had in Fukuoka. Perhaps, even in Japan. Regardless, they can certainly rival that of which is made in Tokyo. 

The gentleman making my shrimp tempura and beef tongue tacos had only been doing it for a couple years, but seemed like a well-seasoned master in the craft.
私のエビの天ぷらと牛タンのタコスを作っている紳士は、ほんの数年しかそれをしていませんでしたが、クラフトの熟練したマスターのようでした。

Certainly the blue corn tortillas were the most stand out item of anything I had tried at other “Mexican” restaurants in Japan. And while you’d never find shrimp tempura on a street taco in San Diego or Baja California (at least to my knowledge), you do find battered fish on fish tacos, which isn’t too far off, to be fair. Therefore, while the flavors at Tacos Stand are adjusted to the Japanese market, they are done more expertly than some places that just think adding more cheese and mild salsa is what makes the dish ‘mexican’. 

Street tacos fukuoka
Pair this with a modelo and you’ve got everything you need for a perfect evening.
これをモデロと組み合わせると、完璧な夜に必要なものがすべて揃っています。


The size of the tacos were right as well - street taco size. Surprisingly, three tacos filled me up more than I expected, but I was of course obligated to try one of their fish tacos as well. 

With the menu always changing, I’ll be back to see what other interesting combinations they have come up with. It’s great to see places like this becoming more popular outside of Tokyo. One of the many great things about Fukuoka is there’s always some new, delicious place to discover! 

〒810-0021 Fukuoka, Chuo Ward, 
Imaizumi, 2 Chome−4−33 2F

〒810-0021 
福岡県福岡市
中央区今泉2丁目
4−33 2F



Comments

Popular Posts